Monday 1 August 2016

Arrived for another weeks residency at Kings Cottage today, where I'll be researching the Tamar Estuary

  Kings Cottage, Cataract Gorge, Launceston, Tasmania




The Tamar Estuary is salty and tidal and flows 70 kilometres inland from Bass Straight into the North and South Esk Rivers in Launceston, which is located on a floodplain.

I'm interested in the build up of silt at the confluence of these 3 waterways. (Which poses ongoing challenges to the city of Launceston, particularly at times of flood.)

The cottage is just minutes away form the Tamar and I can smell the salt from here.
I walked along the foreshore in the teaming rain late this afternoon, it's so daggy and undeveloped, it's wonderful and I love the silt.

The sun broke through just before twilight and the South Esk River and the Tamar were soft pink reflecting the winter sunset. I didn't have my camera because of the rain - -


No comments:

Post a Comment